What causes redness in the groin area?

I have redness where the crotch and thigh meet on both sides. I have had that for about 2 months. The 3 days ago I swam in a pool that needed cleaning and chemical shocking. The next morning I woke up very irritated in that area. I bought a 3-day yeast infection medical kit and am using it now. I have had the groin area redness and perspiration for about two months.
Wed, 20 Jun 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your complain your symptoms looks like jock itch..
Jock itch is an infection of the groin region and occurs commonly due to fungal infection while can also be due to bacterial infection..
As the area of the crease in the groin region is more prone to accumulation of moisture and sweat it leads to maintaining a favorable environment for bacterial and fungal overgrowth..
Other cause can be obesity, poor immunity,excessive workout leading to sweating and friction..
Lamisil is an antifungal medication and is suitable for treating fungal infection..
Apply a combination of antifungal and steroid ointment..
You can apply with Lamisil and hydrocortisone combination..
Avoid using any harsh chemical containing detergents and also avoid using any bleaches and fabric softeners..
You should wear loose fitting and cotton undergarments..
You can apply a coat of zinc oxide ointment over the area as it will have a soothing and sedative effect..
Make a solution of one part of vinegar and three parts of water and soak a wash cloth in it and place over the infected area..
In case if it still does not resolve consult an Emergency room and get evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Honey Arora