What causes numbness on the tongue after drinking coffee?

When I drink anything with coffee in it my tongue starts to go numb and feeling like it is swelling. I enjoy ice caps so i tried to make one at home to make sure it wasnt something added to it like a fake sugar.I don't know is someone can be allergic to coffee. It affects my tongue and it makes me feel a bit sick.
Thu, 28 Jun 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your explanation it looks like an allergic reaction, and if it occurs everytime you take coffee then it can be probably due to allergic reaction to coffee only.
So my suggestion is that for a confirmation you should consult an Emergency room or an Allergist and get evaluated and a clinical evaluation and a blood test can be done to rule out the exact cause of the symptoms.
Of it is allergy to coffee then taking coffee and other foods containing coffee should be avoided.
For now also you should avoid taking coffee and if the tongue is swollen you should take anti allergic medicine like Levocetrizine as too much swelling of tongue can cause choking.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr. Honey Arora