What causes lack of fetal movement during pregnancy?

pregnant woman 34 weeks pregnant, she is not feeling any movement from the fetus in approximately 2 hours. She has attempted to re-position the fetus, no response of any kind from the fetus, she has consumed food in an attempt to stimulate movement, still no response. she is not sure whats happening and the next course of action to take
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
The possible causes of decreased or lack of fetal movements are :
With increasing gestational age as the baby increases and amount of amniotic fluid decreases sometimes movements may not be appreciated with same intensity as in lesser gestational age.
Sometimes because of sleep wake cycle also around for one hour baby movements may not be appreciated.
But but really there is possibility for signin fetal distress which should not be overlooked.
So, as she is not having any fetal movement for 2 hours even after all attempts better to consult your gynecologist once, get examined if needed undergo ultrasound once to find out the well-being of the baby.
Fetal Doppler is a small equipment which helps in finding the fetal heart rate that can be used at home also and helps in monitoring the well-being of the baby. If you want you can purchase one and can use at home.
Hope I have answered your query and I will be happy to answer any further follow up queries.
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response

Go for an ultrasound abdomen for the fetus well-being.

I hope this information has been helpful for you.

Regards.