What causes elevated GGT levels?

Hello I recently got uretersocopy done with DJ stenting and after a couple of days got LFT - Lipids done and realised the below mentioned abnormalities in the test GGT - 89 this is the first time I have found high level of GGT in the last 10 years of my investigations. LDL - 159 Total Cholesterol - 257 I was having novastat TG 5mg a month back though stopped because of the upcoming surgery. I have a family history of heart condition. I drink a couple of times in a week and smoke at the same time too. Please advise.
Fri, 6 Sep 2019

See GGT levels are usually raised in liver diseases, medicine intake, pancreatic issues, alcohol consumption.

Isolated GGT levels have also been co-related to heart diseases.

I would advise you the following:

1. Viral Markers.

2. Ultrasound abdomen.

3. ECG.

If they all come out to be normal I would advise you not to worry as this is a non-specific marker and to get it repeated after 2 months.

If you have any further query please ask me. Stay Healthy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Iven Romic Rommstein, General Surgeon