Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
160 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes difficulty in swallowing liquid and solids?

I can not seem to swallow liquid or solids ever since I tried to eat too much in one bight. I can breath fine, I ve tried to make myself throw up but can t seem to unlodge whatever is stopping solids and liqued from being ingested. It s been 5 hours since this happened... What should I do?
Fri, 11 Jun 2021
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hi,

Your short history is suggestive of one of the following reasons for sudden difficulty in swallowing after trying to eat too much in one bite.
- Angioneurotic edema of the pharynx which is usually due to some allergy.
- Edema of the pharynx due to large chunk of food tried to swallow causing some sort of injury.
- Epiglottitis.
You should the following:
Rush to ER for pharyngoscopy to know the exact cause.
Steroids and antihistamine may be needed in angioneurotic edema.
Anti-inflammatory if edema.
Be on liquids only till the problem is subsided.
Any additional treatment as would be advised on examination.
Also watch for any particular foods and beverages that caused this and stop consuming these for future to avoid such problems.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards,
Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
 

Related questions you may be interested in


What causes difficulty in swallowing liquid and solids?

Hi, Your short history is suggestive of one of the following reasons for sudden difficulty in swallowing after trying to eat too much in one bite. - Angioneurotic edema of the pharynx which is usually due to some allergy. - Edema of the pharynx due to large chunk of food tried to swallow causing some sort of injury. - Epiglottitis. You should the following: Rush to ER for pharyngoscopy to know the exact cause. Steroids and antihistamine may be needed in angioneurotic edema. Anti-inflammatory if edema. Be on liquids only till the problem is subsided. Any additional treatment as would be advised on examination. Also watch for any particular foods and beverages that caused this and stop consuming these for future to avoid such problems. Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon