What are the symptoms of shingles?

I was told I have shingles by my doctor. The rash started on my left side back with no pain or itching on 5-27. On 5-28 I had some sharp pains in my rib cage area & could not sleep. On the 30th no pain or itching. Still NO itching...Today I woke up & now have another patch on my rib cage area on my left side & now both patches itch. Is this really shingles? I have no pain.
Wed, 28 Jun 2017
It is true that shingles is usually painful. It usually follows a nerve and the most common location is around the flank. The only way to prove that it is shinges is with a culture of the fluid. Shingles is usually blisters that then crust over. If there is no pain at all then it may not be shingles.