Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
189 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What are the symptom of sepsis?

My abscess has been drain on its own for two days now. The first day the pus was pinkish-red to red. The second day it was more light green and much more viscous. I am planning to visit a doctor tomorrow, but I am not sure if waiting is the right thing to do since I have read many articles that warned of possible sepsis? Does my wound sound life-threatening to you? Thanks.
Fri, 4 Aug 2017
Report Abuse
  Anonymous's Response
's  Response
There are three stages of sepsis: sepsis, severe sepsis, and septic shock. Sepsis can happen while you’re still in the hospital recovering from a procedure, but this isn’t always the case. It’s important to seek immediate medical attention if you have any of the below symptoms. The earlier you seek treatment, the greater your chances of survival.

Symptoms of sepsis include:

a fever above 101ºF or a temperature below 96.8ºF
heart rate higher than 90 beats per minute
breathing rate higher than 20 breaths per minute
probable or confirmed infection
You must have two of these symptoms before a doctor can diagnose sepsis.

Severe sepsis
Severe sepsis occurs when there’s organ failure. You must have one or more of the following signs to be diagnosed with severe sepsis:

patches of discolored skin
decreased urination
changes in mental ability
low platelet (blood clotting cells) count
problems breathing
abnormal heart functions
chills due to fall in body temperature
extreme weakness
Septic shock
Symptoms of septic shock include the symptoms of severe sepsis, plus a very low blood pressure.

if you dont have such sypmtoms still for your satisfaction get your blood c/s done if there is severe infection. infect abccess is a form of infection n you should be using antiboitic cover for it so get your self checked by a doctor to examine your wound.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

what are the symptoms of sepsis in the elderly? My father in law is in his nineties and has dementia. He recently went on a brief trip with family...