What are the side effects of Campral?

I m currently in a rehab facility for alcohol abuse, I m 23 days sober, I will be here another 3 weeks. I have learned of the drug Campral to help with cravings in my recovery. I m wondering, the cost and if insurance covers it. I would also like a medical professionals opinion on it s success rate and if side effects are common?
Fri, 10 Aug 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Campral is composed of 'Acamprosate', which affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in a person who is addicted to alcohol. It works by restoring the chemical balance in the brain in an alcohol-dependent person who has recently quit drinking. Campral, when used together with behavior modification and counseling support would effectively help a person not to drink, who has recently quit drinking alcohol. Common side effects that might occur while taking Acamprosate include: extreme feeling of sadness or emptiness, fear and severe depression. However, such symptoms can be taken care by counseling and behavior modifications.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.