Unstable angina

mother is 62 and has been hospitalised what wil happen next, tests, medication etc ? yes it is unstable anginia
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
's  Response
I am now quite familiar with this having had two relatives suffering with the problem. Nowadays the treatment is fantastic, so the outlook is very good. Glad she has been diagnosed as it's getting this in time that makes getting better and leading a normal life again as before so much easier. Angina is really a term to cover any problems where the patient gets short of breath or a tightness in the heart due to restrictive blood/air flow. This is due to many reasons associated with heart problems. It may be a narrowing of the arteries due to fatty deposits or it could be a heart defect, often hereditary. She may have been given tablets or a spray- the most common are those to lower blood pressure and cholesterol to help the heart pump blood better. She will most likely have an angiogram. A tube is inserted in to the groin with dye and this shows any heart problems.( a day treatment) Once the results come back, she may need to have stents fitted(metal tubes that open the blood flow to the heart). A fairly simple procedure with an overnight stay in hospital. If she requires more, they may suggest bypass surgery. The doctor/surgeon will advise. This is now a common procedure and she need not worry, by just going to the hospital, she will be able to get better. This is a useful website http://www.bhf.org.uk/ In the meantime she can still stay active, but must not exert herself- just take things easily. After the heart operations and the wounds have healed, exercise is advised- also a no smoking, little alcohol, low cholesterol diet.