Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Toddler swallowed tiny bit of aftershave. Should I be worried?

My 1 year old may have swallowed a tiny bit of aftershave should I be worried? He picked the bottle up and the top came off, he dropped the bottle but then tried to put the top in his mouth with a little in it, I managed to take it off him quickly but I don t know if he swallowed any, he stinks of it but I would assume because it was on his hands, I have cleaned him.
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  482
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Just monitor his respiratory rate. If it increases or if your child develops any chest retractions then take him to the emergency.

Monitor his activity. If he becomes drowsy or lethargic or has some poor feeding or vomiting then he requires treatment.

Make the home child proof and see that such items are not available to the child. Prevention is always better than cure.

Hope this helps.
Take care.

Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Pediatrician Dr. Balaji Chinnasami's  Response
Hi dear,
After shave lotions usually contains alcohol in it. Children are prone to poisoning effects like drowsiness, unsteadiness, vomiting, irritability, seizures. But it depends upon the quantity ingested. Your child has ingested very minimal quantity and unlikely to cause any harm. Just be vigilant but be relieved by the fact that he will be alright.

Take care
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami
Assistant professor- Pediatrics
Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor