Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Throbbing pain in right side gums after eating. Periodontal disease?

Why do My gums on the right side hurt (throb) starting about 30 minutes after I eat. They don't hurt to the touch or any other time. I brush regularly and floss quite often daily. I also brush with pronamel. Most of my teeth are capped. Do I have periodontal disease? Or do i have cancer? I also have started to notice the throbbing getting farther towards the front. So the area of pain is increasing. Thanks for any recommendations you can offer.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013
Answers:  7 Views:  435
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

your clinical history suggests you are suffering from periodontal infection that involves gums and the attachment procedure of the teeth.

As most of your teeth are capped you may have compromised gum health leading to periondontal infection.

It is caused due to accumulation of bacterial plaque and calculus deep in the gum pockets and root surfaces of the teeth.

you may need to be treated by thorough professional deep scaling of gums and root planing of the teeth to remove all the irritants ,this will help in resolving the symptoms.
followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesics.


i would suggest you to go for symptomatic treatment at home like gargling with lukewarm saline water or antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine or betadine.

approach a dentist for treatment.
i hope this helps ,

take car
Answered: Thu, 9 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your history i suspect that you are having pain on the side may be due to food lodgement between the tooth and the cap leading to inflammation of the gums known as gingivitis.
Other than this is can be due to nutritional deficiencies, faulty tooth brushing technique, periodontal pocket formation.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get thorough clinical examination take an OPG radiograph.
Go for symptomatic treatment of complete mouth scaling and polishing.
Take analgesic for pain relief.
Start wit multivitamin tablets.
Maintain a good oral hygiene use chlorhexidine mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.
Do the toothache is affected at the capped tooth?
The pain may be due to periodontal infection.
I would suggest you to get the teeth cleaned and root planning done.
Use interdental toothbrush and brush your teeth in back-forth and up-down motion involving all aspects of teeth.
Use chlorhexidine mouthrinse to gargle.
Please do visit your dentist and get a thorough clinical examination done for periodontal pocket or bone loss present.
Bone grafting has to be done if required.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sushma Rajesh's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

I understand that you are suffering from gum pain. Also the pain you mentioned is radiating. Does it increase when you sleep or is it bad only on chewing? Any sensitivity to cold or hot?
There is a possibility that you have a decayed tooth which is causing this pain. Periodontal infection can also cause pain. It is necessary to get your detailed clinical examination done with radiograph to ascertain the cause. Please see a dentist for this.
Don't worry it is not cancer ,but continue with your good habit of brushing and flossing regularly.

Take Care

Dr.Sushma Rajesh
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sonia Nayab's  Response
hi there

thanks for asking your query

food impaction around gums lead to inflamation called gingivitis

capped teeth needs for care then normal teeth,i would suggest you to go for scaling and deep curretage around capped tooth as sometimes normal brushing and flossing fails to clean that area

along with maintain good oral hygiene

brush twice a day along with flossing

use antiseptic mouthwash

drink plenty of water

hope this will help

Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Shefali Gupta's  Response
Thanks for asking query,
Gum pain can be due to many reasons like- gingivitis , periodontitis, tooth brush trauma , food imp-action between the cap , deep caries involving the pulp.
I suggest you to visit dentist get it checked clinically and radio graphically.Scaling done, maintain oral hygiene, prevent oral hygiene.
take tab oflox-ornidazole twice , tab dolomol thrice, use antiseptic mouth wash , gargle with warm saline water 3 to 4 times a day .
Hope this will help you .
Answered: Thu, 9 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Tarush Thakur's  Response
Thanks for writing,

Relax, there is a major certainty that the pain is due to a dental reason. Cancer does not cause pain after eating. A clinical examination of your gums is very much required to reach to a diagnosis. Professional cleaning(scaling) will be required and the dentist will check for the pockets which have to be eliminated.

Because there is no other symptom related to your gums, the pain can also be due to the crowned teeth. Sometimes a secondary caries may develop below the crowns without you even knowing about it. A x-ray of the area of concern will diagnose that and can be managed accordingly.

Sometimes pain due to chronic reasons can be felt over a large area and you cannot just pinpoint it. I advice you to visit a dentist and have your clinical and radiological checkup done. I'm sure the problem will be diagnosed and treated.

Stay healthy,
Thank you.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor