Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Teen with enlarged breasts like female, overweight. What surgery is advisable to normalize this?

Good evening,
My son is 16 years old, 6 ft. 2 inches tall and 88 kg weight. He has enlarged breasts (almost female like) which is a cause of embarrassment for him. Apart from being little over weight (he does not look too much over weight due to his height), he has otherwise no other medical problem. His thyroid is normal. An endocrinologist has got certain tests done which were all normal. Can you please guide whether surgery is advisable to normalize his enlarged breasts? If yes, would there be any side effect of this surgery? We stay in Powai.
Regards .... Shailesh.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Enlarged breasts in a teenage boy is most commonly due to hormonal disturbences.
Thyroid function tests and prolactin levels are required in this situation.
However, you have mentioned that you have consulted an endocrinologist and the hormonal levels are within normal limits. This means that the endocrinal organs are functioning normal.

As far as surgery is concerned, surgical excion of the enlarged breasts can be done.
The results of mastectomy in males is good.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor