Suggest treatment for pain and tingling sensation in the hands

My husband is having tingling and pain in his hands and wrists, mostly when he is sleeping. It is severe enough to wake him several times a night. Two different doctors are debating whether it is carpal tunnel or whether he has a pinched nerve in his spine. He has had an MRI and is scheduled for a nerve conduction test. I need to know what questions we should be asking these specialists. My husband is very nervous about this and very fearful that it will mean surgery. Oh, he is a long-time controlled diabetic, as well. Any suggestions?
Wed, 12 Jun 2019
Ophthalmologist 's  Response

Diabetes may itself aggravate nerve problems. An NCV will clear if its a carpal tunnel and an MRI will clear the pinched nerve in the spine. In would likes to review after the tests.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Harshita, Ophthalmologist