Suggest treatment for major depressive disorder

I have major depressive order not bi polar and was prescribed lithium to augment the prozac. Ive been taking this for 30 years. a doctor once told me not to take slow release litho tabs and my new psych prescribed them and im feeling weirs after a month.
Mon, 22 May 2017
Hi, thanks for your query at Healthcare Magic.

Depression is a psychiatric condition characterized by 3 main symptoms:
1. Affective depression / depression mood
2. Lose interest or excitement
3. Reduced energy to tiredness and decreased activity

And may be accompanied by other symptoms such as:
1. Decreased concentration and attention
2. Decreased self-esteem and self-confidence
3. Guilt and feelings of not important
4. The future outlook is bleak or pessimistic
5. Thoughts of self-harm or suicide
6. Sleep disorder
7. Appetite reduction that can lead to weight loss

Someone is in major depression if there are at least 5 symptoms above (should cover the main symptoms) at least for 2 weeks accompanied by decline in daily functions (work, social, filling and self-care).

About the drugs, maybe you can take Cipralex. Cipralex is a drug that contains escitalopram, is a drug that works central in the brain and has anti-depressant effects. About the dosage, preferably the consumption as prescribed by your doctor, because the doses of these drugs are individualized. If necessary this drug can be increased dose up to 20 mg a day. I recommend you to regularly control and adhere to your psychiatrist's advice because treatment usually lasts long enough, usually new depression treatments show concrete results in 2-12 weeks, treatment can often last up to 4-9 months in patients with the first episode of major depression, on which already repeated and often required continuous maintenance medication.

In addition to general medications, patients with depressive disorders may also benefit from non-drug therapy such as psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, etc.

Hope this answer your question. Take Care!