Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
184 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for arthritis in the knees

I use to get prescribed vicodan on as needed/regular basis for back pain(degenerative discs) I also have arthritis in both knees. full knee replacement surgery coming up for right knee. it was recommended to start some exercises to strengthen thigh muscles. this causes discomfort and pain. I remember using flexeril a few years ago for pain, muscle spasms. would this be a good med to help with pain rather than vicodan?( my doctor seems reluctant to prescribe/ my insurance has new rules for doctor to follow) I already take mobic. I never seem to be able to talk to my doctor without an apointment & another co-pay
Mon, 5 Jun 2017
Report Abuse
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

In my opinion, Vicodin acts as an anti-inflammatory and an analgesic painkiller while Flexeril is a muscle relaxant so both medications work by different kind of mechanisms according to your condition.

For my patients, I recommend muscle relaxants with B12 vitamin supplementation, hot gentle massaging with topical anti-inflammatory gels are effective in most of cases and Vicodin is needed on a regular basis.

Following physiotherapy, elevation, avoiding bend your knees, bad sitting postures, long-standing, and vigorous movements and you will be fine until your knee replacement surgery. Follow-up with gradual descent post-operative exercise for best results.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Sir, My mother(72 year old) has been suffering from arthritis problem for the last 15 years. Her weight is approx.85 kgs. She could walk without...