• question-icon

Suggest remedy for severe upper back,rib and chest pain

I have been experiencing severe upper back, rib and chest (side and frontal) pain, on both sides when I run. I had an ECG and Stress Test 2 weeks ago when the pain was bad. Both tests showed everything was normal in the heart although I was not experiencing the pain during the stress test. Could this still be heart blockage? I do have high colesteral although controlled with statins over the past 10 years. If not my heart, what in the world could this terrible pain be caused by, if not my heart. My lungs also checked out in the ER visit with an x-ray. It only happens when I run, not bike or other exercise.
Tue, 26 Nov 2019
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Yes, it could still be heart and there are several features that would influence the likelihood. Let us start by whether you have breasts, these change the ECG and make a standard stress test less reliable. the location and movement of a pain gives clues as to what is going on. and mainly this would require an exam. Muscles, nerves, and especially the rib cage joints can cause pain.

Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Matt Wachsman, Addiction Medicine Specialist