Suggest cause of headaches

Good morning, I have a hernia, and for the past 30 years +- I have taken daily (chrocnic prescribed) started on Zantac- contraloc- topzole- now peploc (40 mg) these have worked very well for me and I have no heart burn or any related problems, what I have been wandering is this I am NOT a head ache person- never got headaches, but since April 2011 I have had continuous head aches, had blood pressure checked it was fine, got new glasses, had blood test, they showed I was aneamic, went on iron tablets for 3 months was a bit better not as many headaches, been off the medication a couple of months and headaches are back, now for the question, could the Peploc be the problem? my understanding is that it is a generic of Topzole/ Contraloc. Hope you can help Rose 63
Thu, 12 Dec 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

Medications for treating gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) have a small change of causing a headache (about 5%). If your headache started around the time that you switched to peploc, then it is certainly possible that it is the culprit. An easy way to find out is to simply stop the medications and wait and see if the headache resolves. If it does, then it was likely the culprit and you need another medication.

Other factors that can be associated with headaches are poor stature while working at a desk, a mattress that doesn't support well, a poor pillow, and other activities that cause neck stress. Sinus problems can often also precipitate headaches. Poor sleep is known to be a trigger as well.

To summarize, if your headaches started with the medication, it is reasonable to try and come off it to see if your headaches resolve. If they don't and since this is a new headache, it would be pertinent to get an MRI of the brain with and without contrast to evaluate for any other causes.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Janne Nissinen, Neurologist