Suggest an alternative of Clindamycin

I have an allergy to penicillin, specifically, cephalex. I have a gum infection. I was prescribed clindamycin, but am quite concerned about the side effects associated with this antibiotic; some of the side effects listed are quite serious. What antibiotic can be used in place of clindamycin?
Mon, 26 Mar 2018
Dentist 's  Response

I would like to inform you that Penicillin, Clindamycin, and Cephalex all belong to different groups of antibiotics. And in case if you are allergic to Cephalex, then it seems that you are allergic to Cephalosporin group of antibiotics. So consult your physician and confirm that you are allergic to Penicillin also or not as Cephalex is not a Penicillin.

As far as taking Clindamycin is concerned, it does not always cause side effects and you can take it without fear. But in case if you still not comfortable, then you can take Doxycycline after consulting your physician/ Dentist. Also, massage the gums with Chlorohexidine gel. Do warm saline gargles and antiseptic mouthwash gargles.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Honey Arora