Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Suffering from severe back pain due to spinal stenosis. Family history of spinabifida. Treatment?

I have had trouble with back pains since I was a child, as my spine is curved, but as I ve got older the pain has got worse over time and had started to travel down my legs when walking for more than 10 minutes, recently it has got even worse, shorter time of how long I can walk, and in the cold it s even worse. I went to doctors as it was really hurting, and been diagnosed with Spinal stenosis , my dad s sister has spinabifida, my brother had to have a metal rod placed in his back when we was kids. will I be able to claim dla as this is effecting my health? and if so how do I go about doing this?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,

Thanks for your query.

You have not mentioned if you too have spina bifida.

Due to spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal), there is compression over the nerves which supply the buttocks and lower limbs.

Initial non-operative treatment with pain-killers, reduction of swelling with use of steroids can be tried. If there is no response, surgery to widen the canal and remove compression over the nerves, is the only option.

You have not mentioned age. If the problems, including curved spine) have been since childhood, it may be a congenital condition. I am not aware of your country's laws, whether disability due to congenital conditions is entitled to compensation. You will have to consult the concerned authority to learn about the entitlements for dla.

In case of any further queries, revert back to me THROUGH DIRECT PREMIUM QUERY (Paid), addressed to me personally. You will receive- almost immediately- my response in great details.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” (5-star rating) to my answer, to ENCOURAGE all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Answered: Thu, 5 Dec 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor