Is Gabapentin an effective medicine for treatment of fibromyalgia?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Thank you. I have fibromyalgia and have issues with medications so I really don't take anything for the pain other than 3 Advil every AM for arthritis and the fibro. My doctor recently gave me a RX for Gabapentin for the fibro. The first RX was for 300mg and I took it once and could not tolerate it. He has now given me a RX for 100 mg. to take at bedtime. My concern is that I will be out of it and not be able to function very well the next morning or during the night for that matter. I am a caregiver for my husband who has Alzheimer's and I worry that I will not be able to take care of him. He is In the stage where he can feed himself still but I have to help him get into the shower and out of it and help with toweling because he has a very painful hip and cannot have surgery. He has trouble with words and frequently has trouble speaking his thoughts . Also, he has major bathroom issues which I have to help with. I have to get him up at night to go to the bathroom so have to be alert obviously. He also has macular degeneration and doesn't see well. Having said all of that, I hope the new RX is something I can tolerate. My doctor knows all of this but gave me the RX anyway. I need a second opinion and you specialize in geriatrics so what is your opinion please. Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think he is right .

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that its not that your doctor has prescribed some wrong medicine to you , its just the matter that it takes some time to tolerate this medicine.

Your doctor has rightly reduced the dosage and most people fairly tolerate this medicine at this dosage . If you still have issues with that the amitryptyline , Duloxetine is useful alternative.

The idea is to improve your sleep pattern and make you go for sound sleep , this will help you cope with pain and widespread fatigue that Fibromyalgia causes.

Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
It is no amitryptyline, it is Gabapentin.
Thank you for your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reverting back.

Well I know your doctor has prescribed gabapentin , I mean in case you have intolerance to 100 mg dose even , then you can try amitryptyline or duloxetine .

We generally prescribe amitryptyline as first line.

Dr. Shruti