Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suffering from osteopenia and osteoporosis on the hip. What is the best medication?

I'm need to decide which is best to treat my osteoporosis. Dr. said either Forteo or Prolia. He prefers Forteo. I was on Boniva for 5-6 years for osteopenia with some improvement, but now have osteoporosis in one hip. Don't like the idea of daily injection. Dr. said Prolia is same as Boniva and not best for the hips. Your input, please.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  229
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
its very appropriate to get the opinion of a rheumatologist for appropriate evaluation and management. Specific biological tests like measurement of vitamin D levels and Calcium blood levels could be required to orient the supplementation process. A bone Mass Density scan could be asked to be a baseline for monitoring and management. Depending on the values you obtain from this baseline clinical evaluation, an appropriate diagnostic plan can then be set up. Drugs will range from |Calcium, Vitamin D, Biphosphonates, Analgesics depending on the clinical and laboratory profiles seen,
Thanks and hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Rheumatologist Dr. Shruti Rijhwani's  Response
Hi !

Thanks for your query.

There are multiple options available for treatment of osteoporosis , it depends on which patient responds well . You have not mentioned your age , in post menopausal females hormone replacement therapy is a good option . Our experience with Inj. zoledronic acid is good plus it has to be take once a year . you can discuss this option with your treating doctor . Prolia is also a known option for treatment of osteoporosis.You get a DEXA scan done for assessment of osteoporosis and then discuss the best option which suits you.

Wish you a good health.

Take care.
Dr. Shruti.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor