Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

140 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffer from depression and anxiety. Have fibromyalgia. Feeling numbness in the body with spots. Do I have to get tested for MS?

3 yrs ago, i had a self inflicted stroke . i have suffered from depression and anxiety for years. many failed meds and lots of tries brought me to a bad place of also alot of physical pain where, i have been told fibromialgia.. tried lyrica , and now cymbalta... nothing can touch this constant pain..i am left with now, and in the last 2 months or so, numbness on the left side of my body, it is my hand, leg and now weird spots in my left side of my face, including little twitches in my face now.. my doc has got me on waiting list for , internal med specialist, ct scan , and mental health specialist.. i need to know if there is just a test for ms, could this be? pills r not my help now, i want a thought of what other things this may b now.. i have heard every excuse in the books, i need answers now, i am to young, and a single mom, to have this consume my life, in the way it has...Please help Me, with any info you can!!!
Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi there ~

There are two angles to treatment. One is medications and the other is therapy or counseling. Please consult with a good counselor in your area who can help you with cognitive behavioral therapy for depression and anxiety. Studies have shown that a combination of therapy and medications is most effective, more so than either of them alone. So it is highly advisable to continue your medications and continue to see your psychiatrist to get optimum benefit from the same. I hope this works for you.

Take care and have a lovely day !
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I ve had bladder for a long time now, I also suffer with fibromyalgia,anxiety disorder,ptst,and major depression disorder, no I m not a hycondryact. Anyway I been on two different medications for infection don t think it has worked, I can pee more now, never had blood in my pee, but still feel feverish, nausea, weakness, lower back pain, but back pain is not new to me . I can be extremely hot, then very cold,and not menopausal yet.with all my other issues that are ongoing what should I do! Please

doctor1 MD

Hi, my name s Brian and am a 23 year old male. For the past year I ve been suffering from depression and anxiety. It s a constant struggle to become normal again and live my life freely and as happy as I once have. I ve seen multiple doctors and have taken multiple tests. The only thing I haven t done is talk to a psychiatrist about my issues, which I have a scheduled appointment coming next month. Basically, I m looking for any kind of help and fast so I can put these troubles to a lasting end. I ve felt lightheaded for a year now on a constant basis. The only time it seems to wear away is when I first awake in the morning, and when I start getting tired at night. I receive shocking feelings through my body from time to time and have also felt heart palpitations on and off. It s all very scary, but I ve been told that it s nothing more than my anxiety and possibly stress. I ve had blood tests, a CAT Scan, an Echocardiogram, ECG testing, and even wore a heart monitor for a 2 week period. All of which with the results coming back normal. It feels like I m only fighting myself. I recently discovered that I m slightly agoraphobic as well. My symptoms worsen any time I find myself in public places or large buildings. I just want these problems to go away as quick as possible because this past year for me has been a living nightmare. It even prohibits me from continuing with my education and work. Please help me. Any advice will be much appreciated and as soon as you can. Thank you so much.

doctor1 MD

I suffer from anxiety/depression/impending doom and all day today I have had numbness (tingling) feeling on the left side of my face only in the temple area and its kinda in a c shape around the left eye. Is it something I should call an ambulance for because I am getting scared and it is kicking up my anxiety very bad!!!! Please help me!!!!! Thank you.

Recent questions on  Anxiety/ depression

doctor1 MD

This is a really elaborate question.. but I'm very scared, and have been going through this for years. I'm finally giving in and asking any and all doctors for their opinion.

I'm a 26 year old male. 6'2 and 145 lbs. I've been having episodes of SVT since I was 18 years old. About 5 years ago a cardiologist I saw put me on 25mg of metoprolol twice daily. It seemed to help a lot. The episodes happened rarely, and I felt mostly normal. A year or so after that, my symptoms worsened again. He upped my dosage to 50mg twice daily, and scheduled me for an echo and a holter monitor. I had the tests and both can't back normal. I had no episodes of SVT while on the holter, sadly. After he increased my dosage again, I felt normal for a long time. Last March I traveled to Ireland. I was there until May. When I came back to my home, I was out of work for a few months and was living a sedentary life. After a while I started noticing symptoms. I was experiencing numbness and pain in my back, shortness of breath, dizziness upon standing, muscle weakness, heat and cold sensitivity, insomnia, and severe anxiety. I became very depressed and was afraid to go to the doctor. Eventually my girlfriend forced me to go. I was given full blood work and a chest X-ray. Everything came back fine and the doctors attributed it to anxiety/depression and months of inactivity. I felt slightly better after hearing that from the doctors, and went home. I secured a job and felt a bit better, but still felt nowhere near healthy. A year later, I started noticing my symptoms getting drastically worse. My legs would tremble when I walked up and down even stairs. If I tried lifting anything, my arms and hands would shake. I was extremely tired, the pain and numbness in my back had worsened, and now there was a new pain in my abdomen under my rib cage. A constant dull soreness. I also noticed my shortness of breath getting worse. I could no longer even sing or yell without feeling like my lungs were going to collapse. The breaking point for me was one night while I was having sexual relations with my girlfriend, and my heart went tachycardic. 280bpm for 15 minutes. It felt differed than the older episodes I used to have. It wasn't just fast. It was hard and felt like my heart was going to explode. When the paramedics got there, it converted. Since that incident, I haven't been able to have sex with my girlfriend, because as soon as I get excited, my heart starts beating very hard and slow, and erratic, instead of fast and steady as it should. This was in July. It's now November and things only feel worse. I feel like I can't do anything. The symptoms are all too much and too frequent. I'm seeing a doctor who actually seems to care, but I have to wait 2 weeks between visits, and he hasn't figured anything out yet. That's about the end of my story. I just want help. I don't care from where. My whole life is ruined and I feel trapped and scared.

Here are all of my symptoms:

Upper back pain/numbness
Dull pain under ribs in abdomen
Shortness of breath
Heart palpitations
Tachycardia on standing
Blurred vision
Purple fingernails and toenails
Cold and heat sensitivity
Severe anxiety

I also personally, think I have Marfan's syndrome. I'm 6'2, and 145lbs, and my fingers, toes and limbs are all very long and thin. My face is also long and thin. I just don't understand how I could be this old and not have been diagnosed already. Nobody else in my family has it. The only reason I even know of it's existence is because a friend of mine in medical school mentioned it.

I've also got a black pit for a wisdom tooth in the back of my mouth that's been there since I was 19 or 20 that I've never had taken care of. I know I've heard of tooth problems being related to cardiac problems.

I'm not looking for a cure or a diagnosis, only some insight into the situation from someone in experience. Reading about what COULD be wrong with me online is mostly useless because there are so many symptoms and variables. Anything would be helpful at this point.

Thanks in advance.

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

doctor1 MD

I have ST depressions in 2,3, AVF, V-4-V6, on my EKG, Echo stress test approximately 1-1.5 further inferolateral ST depression over the resting abnormality. NO ischemia, or infarction. 13.9 Mets. Cardiologist said I passed the echo 100%, and I have a very strong heart muscle, But, I have read that 1-1.5 ST depressions would mean a positive stress test. ??

doctor1 MD

Hello, I had an abnormal ECG-ST & T segment downsloping in 2-3 aVF, V4-V-6. The doctor said it looked worse than the one I had 6 monthes prior. So, I was sent for an Echo Stress test- Results: Excellent exercise capacity 13.9 METS- QRS pattern in lead V1-V-2. Approximately 1-1.5 further inferolateral ST depression over the resting abnormality. No arrhythmia. It stated Otherwise, normal echo. No indication of exercise induced ischemia, or septal infarction. I worry about this everyday. Should I have further testing, my cardiologist said to see him again in 2 years. F-49 yrs. Thank-you.

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. I have been on Sertraline, 100 mg /2tabs/ day as prescribed for approx. 3-4 years. It has helped my anxiety/depression without any noticeable side effects. Is there a certain amount of time you can safely be on this medication? Is there a need in some people to have the dose over 200mg or is this the maximum ? I m scheduled to see my new clinical specialist/nurse practicinier in Feb, my other Dr. retired after 35 years, good Dr. As he is not a Dr. are there any questions I should ask him about dose amounts etc. ? Thank You in advanvce Steve .PS. I didn t realize there would be a charge for one ? thanks anyway

doctor1 MD

I'm taking lamictal, Zoloft, and a little klonopin for anxiety/ depression . My psychiatrist is having me wean off the lamictal and start vyvanse. Do I need to be totally off the lamictal to begin vyvanse?

doctor1 MD

Hi, i have been on effexor xr 75/mg for anxiety/ depression for over 12yrs with no need for a dose increase until a week a go when my anxiety flared to the point of not eating, feeling anxious all the time ect due to months of stress . I'm now...

doctor1 MD

I have been prescribed the following medications for relief from my spondylolithesis (I am having surgery 11/18): 50mg Tramadol 500mg Robaxen } as needed 5.3mg Percocet I take the following medications for anxiety/ depression & ADHD: 37.5 Effexor...