Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Stung by a bee, numbness, lack of sleep, tingling symptoms. Due to alcohol consumption?

why does drinking alcohol adversely affect and exacerbate the symptoms of a bee sting? I was drinking alcohol yesterday and got stung by a bee, symptoms were very scary. Numbing, tingling , thick tongue , I couldn t sleep all night, took benadryl . I feel better now, but wonder why alcohol make a bee sting reaction that seemed so scary.
Asked On : Thu, 13 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  198
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
These symptoms were not related to alcohol. These are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to a bee sting. In particular your thick tongue. I assume you mean swollen tongue. Taking Benadryl was the correct action as this would have reduced the reaction. Even though someone may have been stung by a bee before and had no adverse effects, subsequent stings can cause an allergic reaction which can be life-threatening.
In your case, you appear to have fully recovered. I would like to suggest you explain your symptoms to your doctor. If I was seeing you, I would consider giving you an Epipen to carry always which is an epinephrine auto-injection syringe. In future, if you get stung by a bee, it would be advisable to use the pen to avoid serious reactions. If you would like any further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Answered: Thu, 29 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor