Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Should I worry if the baby's abdomen appears enlarged in the scan ?

I had a growth scan yesterday at 36+5 weeks. The baby s head is average size but his abdomen is enlarged. They said their is a lot of anmiotic fluid and risk of prolapsed cord. They gave me my second GTT test which came back good. They have booked me for induction at 40+1 weeks but when I asked them what it all meant, i was told they didn t know and that a peadatrician would be on hand to check his tummy. I m now really upset and worried and have three weeks of waiting until i m induced, I m also terrified of my waters breaking incase of a prolapsed cord. Is there any more advise? What could be wrong with him? I m so worried and I don t know what to do!
Asked On : Tue, 19 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  71
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

I understand your worry.

It most probably seems that the baby is drinking a lot of amniotic fluid. This is not worrisome unless it causes other effects like fetal distress.

I do not see a reason as to why you should wait until the next 3 weeks. If all is fine, you can be induced at 37 weeks when the fetal lung matures too.

Please discuss about this with your doctor.

Prolapsed cord causes more harm to the baby.

Hope this helps.

Answered: Tue, 19 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor