Why is Cesarean preferred over normal delivery?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Why doctors suggests to delivery by cesarean rather than normal delivery ?

hi

I have to ask something about pregnancy ?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Indication for cesarean should be rational, to safeguard mother and baby

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic!
Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully gone through your query, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to address your medical concerns and would suggest you the best of the available treatment options.

1. First of all do not panic or worry.

2. As a prudent gynecologist it is our all time goal to have normal vaginal delivery.
This means during or after the delivery , the mother and the baby should be healthy.

3. If at all vaginal delivery seems to be causing harm to mother's health or injury to urinary tract, vagina, cervix, rectum or perineum sometimes there is need to deliver the baby by Cesarean.

Also, if baby is at risk due to abrupt changes in heart rate, baby passes meconium (Stool) inside womb, dry labour or abnormal lie, presentation or placenta previa or abruptio placenta, umbilical cord prolapse, cephalopelvic disproportion- Head size and pelvic size mismatch; then cesarean is needed.

4. In my opinion there should always be a scientific reason for cesarean.
As cesarean should be a procedure to reduce morbidity and mortality in mother and baby.

i hope my answer helps you.
Thanks.
Wish you great health.
Dr Purushottam S Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj