Should Clindamycin be stopped in case of black bowel movements?

Hi ... I m a dentist and have a patient taking Clindamycin 300mg qid. He started 4 days ago and 3 more days of the drug to take. He called today and said is gingival swelling around a tooth is much improved but his stools are jet black . No past history of GI issues. Should we continue having him take the drug or stop the clindamycin immediately. No current GI issues except for stool color. Thanks Dr. Dave Smith
Fri, 29 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Black stool are related to a gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
I think that the patient should stop clindamycin and do an endoscopy to discover the source of the hemorrhage.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.