Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Ripping noise from neck, severe pain in the shoulder. See a doctor?

I was sitting at the computer this morning when I put my arms up to stretch ...I turned my head and heard a ripping noise that sounded like it came from my neck . I m now experiencing serious pain in the left side of my neck and my left shoulder--I can barely move. Do I need to go to a doctor or should I just put heat/ cold on it?
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  263
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
You can observe this for 1-2 days and see if the pain is decreasing with analgesics and hot compresses. Sudden stretching usually leads to stretching of the ligaments and muscles associated with the area and if stretched beyond their limits, a partial tear might occur leading to severe pain. The main aim of treatment is to use analgesics, apply gel to the area and hot compresses. The main thing that needs to be followed is provision of rest: do not perform any exercises or stretches that injure the area further. If the pain goes on increasing after 1-2 days then you should consult a doctor.
Answered: Fri, 7 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor