Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Pregnant, elevated blood pressure. Should i be concerned?

Hi I'm 36 years of age and am 32 weeks pregnant. My blood pressure is 140/94 and has been averaging 137/90 over the past couple of weeks. I was scheduled to see my OBGYN today but she had to cancel as she had a baby to deliver. Should I be concerned about the health of my baby girl? If so, what actions should I take?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  67
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response

You are 36 years.An increased maternal age is an important risk factor for hypertension in pregnancy. Anti hypertensive drugs are prescribed when the blood pressure rises to 150/100 mm hg.

Uncontrolled blood pressure can affect the fetus and cause growth retardation. But do not worry.Your fetus will be term by 37 weeks. If your blood pressure remains high, the pregnancy can be induced and terminated at 37 weeks to get a healthy baby.
Answered: Mon, 13 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor