Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Pain under foot. Tried stretching, icing it, no relief. Cure for pain?

I have pain along the bottom of one foot , when I roll a golf ball under my foot is very painful. I have had this problem for three months, tried stretching , icing it and resting it. nothing seems to make any difference, I have been to two physio and one massage therapist, but are getting nowhere. The Injury may have initially started with my golf swing. I would like to know is it best to stretch it, ice it, keep off it, just don t know what to do, anynhelpmappreciated.
Asked On : Sat, 5 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012

Welcome and thank you for posting your problem to HCM

From your description you are having a chronic painful sole which would require close examination and series of treatment plans in order to achieve the best possible outcome. An orthopedic surgeon might need to be consulted.

I will think of 3 possibilities as per your situation either you are having plantar fasciitis, mononeuropathy or polyneuropathy of the sole, or arthritis of the foot joints ( two or more of the joint bones of the foot). Your doctor will need to examine you carefully, first by doing a physical exams, then by doing an x-ray of that foot to rule out the different possibilities.

If you are having plantar fasciitis ( inflammation of the thick tissue at the bottom of the foot),

your doctor will usually first recommend:

Acetaminophen (Tylenol or paracetamol) or ibuprofen or diclofenac or any antiinflammatory to reduce pain and inflammation, heel and foot stretching exercises, night splints to wear while sleeping to stretch the foot, resting as much as possible for at least a week, wearing shoes with good support and cushions

Other steps to relieve pain include:

Apply ice to the painful area. Do this at least twice a day for 10 - 15 minutes, more often in the first couple of days. Try wearing a heel cup, felt pads in the heel area, or shoe inserts. Use night splints to stretch the injured fascia and allow it to heal.

If these treatments do not work, your doctor may recommend:

Wearing a boot cast, which looks like a ski boot, for 3-6 weeks. It can be removed for bathing. Custom-made shoe inserts. Steroid shots or injections into the heel

Sometimes, foot surgery is needed if your orthopedic surgeon deems necessary.
If the cause of your worry is a neuropathy then medications to relieve neuralgic pains needs to be taken ( carbamazepine, neucleo cmp forte etc). But first your doctor will need to rule systemic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, SLE, rheumatoid arthritis etc so that the underlying diseases can be controlled before the painful foot can be treated.
If arthritis, same management plan can be put into place after infectious causes have been ruled out by running some laboratory test.

Hope this helps
Answered: Sat, 5 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
hello mungall
this pain is due to strain ,so you can use muscle relaxant medicine with rest.
you can use hot fomentation ,this will help in muscles relax.
Use medicine like chlorzoxazone plus diclofenac combination thrice daily for 3-5 days.
Use omeprazole 20 mg twice daily with this.
Answered: Sat, 5 Jan 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor