Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Osteophytes, bone spurs in right knee. Pain during weather change. How to strengthen damaged cartilage?

Is it possible to cure knee osteo arthritis ? I have a severe problem with my knee joint . osteophytes and bone spurs are there in my right knee. I fell down about 17 years back. I am basically a teacher. Some times I have to stand for 1 or1 1/2 hours, climb stairs, movement from one class room to other.... etc. There was no serious problem for the last few years. But as now I am staying in Muscat and if there is change in the weather conditions there will be pain. Could you pls tell me whether it is possible to strenghten or rejuvenate the damaged cartilage . I am 39 now. I prefer ayurvedic treatment from trivandrum.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  61
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.
To have relief in osteoarthritis knee,you should do following-
-Start doing exercises for quadriceps muscles.You may learn this from your physiotherapist.
-Start doing warm fomentation with rubber bag over knee for at least 3 times a day.
-Take a good analgesic like advil or aleeve.
-There are some dietary substances like glucosamine ,chondroitin sulfate,MSM which can be taken OTC.These substances help in repairing of damaged cartilage of knee in early stages.
-Avoid squatting movements at knee.
-In early stages exercises, medicines ,joint supplements & intra articular injections are helpful & may revert the changes but in late cases joint replacement is only option.

Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Sun, 21 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Thank for your question to, HCM, It is good, if prefer Ayurvedic medicine, there is no way to strengthen or rejuvenate cartilage, cartilage has got no blood supply, for the arthritis surgical treatment is there, but it is coast effective, you can try the steroid if not taken before, for that you need to discus it with your Doctor, analgesic helps a lot,, Have good day.
Answered: Sun, 21 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Its your wish and will to opt for any system of medicine either ayurveda, allopathy, unani, siddha etc. for your osteoarthritic (OA) knees.

But as an orthopedic surgeon practicing allopathic system, let me explain you the management of OA knee

As you are very young (only 39 yrs), I recommend conservative mode of management as mentioned below -

Physical therapy : The mainstay of treatment in the early case is physical therapy, which should be directed at maintaining joint mobility and improving muscle strength. Other measures, such as massage and the application of warmth, may reduce pain.

Load reduction : Protecting the joint from excessive load may slow down the rate of cartilage loss. It is also effective in relieving pain. weight reduction for obese patients, wearing shock-absorbing shoes, avoiding activities like climbing stairs and using a walking stick are worthwhile.

Analgesic medication : Pain relief is important, Simple over the counter medications like acetaminophen is sufficient in most cases. If this fails to control pain, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may be better.

Viscosupplementation : Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint in prescribed dosages will give good short term relief in selected cases and helps in postponing total knee replacement surgery atleast for a year or two.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Sun, 21 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor