Is vaginal dryness a symptom of menopause?

My name is Maryanne and I live in Calgary, Alberta. My question that has been disturbing me for quite a while now is about my menopausal symptoms mainly dryness in my vagina. I have reads a lot of information but i am still confused what best treatment I can find on line.
Mon, 12 Oct 2015
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
Before concluding that you have entered menopause it is necessary to have some more information.
What is your age?
What is your menstrual history?
The age for menopause is variable starting from 45 to 55 years of age.
It is characterized by irregular menstruation, slowing of menstruation and finally cessation of menstruation.
Menopause is characterized by decrease in female hormone - estrogen and deficiency of estrogen causes symptoms of dryness of vagina, thinning of skin of vulva, hot flushes, mood swings etc.
The treatment of symptoms of estrogen deficiency is hormonal replacement therapy with estrogens.
Thus, I suggest you to consult your gynecologist for clinical assessment, confirmation of menopause and thus start the hormone replacement therapy.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri