Is surgery needed for severe pain in the right hand?

I have been experiencing this pain for about a decade now -but of late it has become more painful ..sometimes my entire hand (right hand)aches and is quite painful more so in nights. Do you think a surgery will set things right for me at this stage ?or some prescribed medication will help? Iam 75 years old female- I do not have any other health issue except the routine effects of aging that am coping well.
Wed, 11 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The pain in the hand can be a muscle pain or due to a nerve root compression at the cervical spine. This can decrease with medicines.

I hope this information has been helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal