Is a prostate biopsy a risky procedure?

Hello, I have a question. I am a 57-year-old man and my PSI number elevated from 2.5 to 4 in 9 month and came back to 3.6. Considering this sudden change in my PSI number, and that my father had prostat cancer, my doctor told me that it is better for me to have a prostate biopsy. Does biopsy itself has any risk? I have also asked another doctor s opinion, as a second opinion, and he told me that I have to wait for couple of months and during this time he would monitor my PSI, and then make a decision to wether have or not have a biopsy. What do you suggest?
Thu, 30 Aug 2018

Your both doctors are right. It is in view of family history CA prostrate that doctors have suggested. Is there any infection? The decision depends on your symptoms and lab values.

Can recheck from a different lab if per rectal exam was done at the time of blood test.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.