Is a herniated disc surgery in the lower back necessary if backache is under control?

Hi, After reviewing my MRI scan report, Neurologist has advised me to undergo the surgery for herniated disc(L5S1) at my lower back(Lumbar spine) as soon as possible. Right now I am under medication(2-3 weeks) and observation. There is no specific date to undergo the surgery however if problem exacerbates then immediate surgery is required. After medication, my pain is little releived( out of min1-10max scale, I have the pain level of 3 only now as compared to previous level of 8),so do I need to undergo surgery or continue medication, considering continous medication may have other side effects. Thanks in advance for answering my question.
Wed, 13 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

No need for surgery, medicine and physiotherapy will help you. Avoid long term use of pain killers.

I hope this information has been helpful for you.

Regards.