• question-icon

Is Adderall safe after a WPW ablation?

Hello. I am 39 years old and have inattentive ADD. From 2010-2012 I was taking a very low dose of Adderall which worked wonders. I stopped taking it in 2012 upon trying to conceive. Two children later and now weaning my 2 year old, I want to consider taking medication to help. I am in a crippling struggle with ADD symptoms right now. In 2010 I was diagnosed with Wolff Parkinson White and had an ablation in 2012 after my first child was born. I have had WPW episodes since the age of 15 and had stress tests and examines every few years but no diagnosis until entering the ER during an episode in 2010. So my question is, should I avoid Adderall post WPW Ablation for safety reasons? If so, is there anything that I could safely take? Thank you!
Mon, 30 Sep 2019
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Without an exam, I can only give general information. It's a stress hormone and that increases risk of arrhythmia. BUT for that matter beta blockers are not necessarily safe since they can hit the normal electrical path MORE than the abnormal one. And it's ablated. Personally, I would avoid it in people over 40 simply because it is a stress hormone and not necessarily avoid it in younger people.

Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Matt Wachsman, Addiction Medicine Specialist