Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Injury below eye, severe swelling, black and blue discoloration, small red dot remains. Cause of worry?

I hit my eye (well right under my eye) on the corner of my nightstand. It swelled so bad it looked like someone had stuffed a large marshmellow under my eye. It turned black and blue. The swelling finally went down and the soreness went away enough to where I could touch it. A small knot...the size of a red hot still remains under my eye. Should I be worried? This occurred over two weeks ago.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  47
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Welcome to the forum. It seems the injury caused blood to clot within the tissue of the delicate area around your eyes. It is nice to know that you are fine with only a small knot left.

You can apply the oitment, "thrombopbob" locally on the area where the swelling and discomfort still exist. Be cautious and do not let the oitment get inside your eyes. In 2-3 days the spot should get cleared.

Hope you have not hurt your eyes, if you have any vision problem just check it out with a doc. You may need to see a dermatologist if the spot does not clear out. Take care.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Pediatrician, Surgery Dr. Anand Sinha's  Response
Thank you for your query
Some times these hematomas or collection of blood take almost a month to completely disappear. So i believe you can safely wait for another 2 weeks especially if it shows a declining trend as you have mentioned. Some cold compresses with ice will hasten the resolution.
Hope that helps
God bless you
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor