1. First confirm that you have deafness due to otosclerosis
2. You may also consider hearing aids or a BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid
) device as options today, especially if your lifestyle does not suit a stapedectomy
3. Within the ambit of stapedectomy you have a wide choice of pistons and prosthesis
4. Remember that the stapedectomy does not treat the disease (otosclerosis), but merely bypasses it for a few years. Ultimately if the new bone formation affects the inner ear
(cochlea), you may have to revert to using a hearing aid.
5. A good hearing aid is always an option instead of surgery.