Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

I am having pain in the gap of my teeth, is root canal helpful on this ?

I am 28 years man , whenever i drink cold water or icecream etc.. i feel pain in my two teeth left and right each side.. apart from this there are gap in my teeth two and also I brush two times in a day still not much clean.. i visited to dr and he suggest to do either composite filling or root canal . i am confused plz help what to do and will be better for long
Asked On : Wed, 27 Jul 2011
Answers:  13 Views:  1188
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and thank you for your question.
Based on what you have stated, I would like to ask a few more questions for a proper answer.
-Does the sensitivity leave within a few seconds from when the cold leaves the tooth?
if so, then most likely the sensitivity is due to exposed root which is common. The best way to reduce this sensitivity is to use Sensodyne or another antisensitive toothpaste. You have to use this two-three times a day religiously for 3-4 weeks for it to START working. You brush your teeth for two full minutes, spit out the excess, do not rinse out the film, do not eat or drink for 30-60 minutes. This gives it time to work. It takes weeks for it to gradually start working but you will notice the difference.

-Does the sensitivity persist for 15-45 seconds or longer after removal of the stimulus?
if so then your dentist is right, you need root canal therapy because you have irreversible pulpitis.

The composite is most likely to help close the gaps to make your teeth more aesthetic.

Best wishes and good health

Dr. Ward
Answered: Thu, 11 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I want to know that:-
-Whether you have sensitivity to hot also?
-Whether this sensitivity subsides after 3-4 secs or it remains even after removal of stimulus??
You need to go for proper investigation like get an IOPAR done of same tooth.
If there is pulp involvement then you go for RCT followed by capping otherwise you can go for direct capping or composite restoration.
For prevention of further decay start maintaining your oral hygiene by regular brushing twice a day.Also start using 0.2% chlorhexidine mouthwash 10ml half an hour after brushing.

Take Care
Answered: Thu, 11 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Thanks for the query.
Actually in root canal treatment the pulp is removed
and root canal is obliterated.
In other words the teeth is made completely dead.
Composite filling is a much better option.
till the time teeth can be preserved, it should be preserved

Please meet a dentist as soon as possible.
Thank you
Answered: Tue, 19 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello & welcome,

You have written here that even after cleaning your teeth twice daily, still they are not much clean. I think this might be related to your sensitivity though indirectly.

Failure to clean the oral cavity properly leads to accumulation of the plaque along the gingival line on tooth surface & after a few days or months this causes gingiva to recess from it's natural position to somewhat at lower position.

If gingiva recesses to lower position,then root surface gets exposed thereby sensitivity develops which is painful ,too.

Plaque accumulation along with food debris collection is responsible for development of caries especially in the cervical region of the tooth.

Now, if this cervical caries have not crossed the dentine to reach the pulp of the tooth, then Composite filling can be done by your dentist.

But if the caries have reached the pulp tissue or even sensitivity is severe in the same teeth, Root canal treatment is to be done followed by placement of crown.

Visit your dentist, get your teeth cleaned & checked clinically. And definitely you can go with your dentist's choice of treatment otherwise you have to take second opinion to confirm the diagnosis.

Take care.
Answered: Fri, 19 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
is the gap natural or caused due to tooth decay. if its natural you may floss or go fro composite filling. if it is due to decay , you might have to gor for root canal or filling depending upon the extent of decay which your dentist will explain with an x ray
Answered: Sat, 13 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Saket Gaurav's  Response
Hi Abhy,
If u have pain while consuming hot or cold food items, U should go for a radiograph i.e IOPAR of those particular teeth. After examining it properly your dentist will advice you for RCT or restoration. Any treatment is given or done on the basis of condition and investigation reports of that condition. If the cavities are too deep involving the pulp/nerves of the teeth, then u should go for RCT followed by crown for strengthening and longevity of that tooth/teeth, this will even help in closing the space formed between your teeth as you have mentioned it. If the tooth decay is not involving the pulp/nerve of the tooth then you can go for composite restoration or only crown without RCT which will help in the space closure and pain. Since you have mention pain not sensitivity, there are more chances that pulp/nerves of your teeth is involved, so RCT n crown is the best option.
Dnt delay, the condition might become worse, visit your dentist as soon as possible.

Take care.
Answered: Fri, 23 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Gaurav Pratap Singh's  Response
senstivity can be due to carious lesion involving dentine of tooth,attrision, abrassion.for all these composite filling & RCT are good option.capping withot rct will cause much senstivity pain during preperation.
Answered: Tue, 19 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Sikun Samantara's  Response
Hi Abhy, Welcome to HCM.

With respect to your query, first of all you need to confirm whether you really have pain or is it sensitive in those areas. If its sensitive, then a Good professional scaling(i.e cleaning of teeth) would solve your problem. If your dentist says, there is presence of superficial caries, you can go for a composite filling. But in case, its deep you have to undergo Root Canal treatment followed by crown placement. Hope i helped you. Take care.
Answered: Thu, 28 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Sourav's  Response
i thnk you hav deep caries close to your nerve and blood supply i.e ,its better if u go for R C T....and the problem with composite is that in deep cavities,it leads to senstivity.....whch l make u later to go for an,beter get it done care
Answered: Thu, 28 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
You are having carious teeth,
I advice to go for root canal treatment as it is life long cure.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Wed, 27 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
The tooth is decayed which has resulted in sensitivity. Restoration of the teeth depends on the depth of the cavity on the tooth. A normal restoration of silver amalgam or composite would be sufficient. If the cavity is extending to the pulp of the tooth then it requires Root canal treatment and capping. This can be determined after taking an xray of the tooth. Gap between teeth can be corrected by crowns or orthodontic correction.
Answered: Wed, 27 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale's  Response

If X ray teeth show deep caries go for root canal.

Superficial caries need simple cement filling
But if X raay no caries use of paste for sensitive teeth is adviced(colgate sensitive/shy N-M)
Answered: Wed, 27 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Vishal Jain's  Response
Hi Abhy,

the suggestion given by dentist is very wrong. if it is a RCT case then you cannot substitute it with composite ( as you had written rct or composite filling ). if there is a need of root canal, it has to be done over that you can go for composite restoration or crown.

for your problem of sensitivity, we have to evaluate the reason for the sensitivity as it can be there because of gum problem or tooth decay. according to that only your treatment will be planned.

Answered: Sat, 21 Jan 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor