• question-icon

How to cure the condition of slip disc and osteoporosis?

Hello Doctor,

I have two queries.

Firstly my grandmother who is suffering from either slip disk or from osteoporosis.Some doctors say its the former some say its the latter.She is 73yrs of age and she thinks she is really sick.Dont wnat to contrubute or try to get well.

Secondly my aunt who is suffering from Parkinsson since last 15yrs atleast or more.
Tue, 16 Sep 2014
Radiologist 's  Response
In either of the cases i.e slip disk or osteoporosis the diagnosis is by MRI spine. You have not mentioned any symptoms which point to the slipped disc. Plain radiography is usually initial investigation done. I suggest you do it first if she has already not undergone one. The next investigation would be MRI spine which would solve your query. If she is having a slipped disc then further management should be discussed with a neurosurgeon based on the severity of slipped disc and nerve root compression. Osteoporosis is invariably present in all the elderly individuals and calcium supplements are given for this.