• question-icon

How to avoid pregnancy after a failed contraception?

I had a failed contraception (condom broke) on Monday. In looking at my cycle, this would be the time I would be ovulationg (between Monday and today). I was afraid to take Plan B and did not think I should panic becuase I am 44 and think it is not likely that this would result in a pregnancy. My periods are generally regular. Now I am regretting my decision because my partner wants no part of raising a family and I would not want to raise a child without a Dad even though I am against termination. I still feel against taking the Plan B. I am very confused and praying that the likelihood of a natural pregnancy occurring this way at my age is minimal. Is this a reasonable thought and is it risky to take the plan B now when it has already been at least 48 hours and I could have ovulated already?
Wed, 17 Jun 2015
Hi
I have gone through your question and shall try to provided you with most specific and scientific suggestion to it.
Plan B is effective if it is taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, if taken afterwords it's effectiveness decreases, do I advice you to decide before this time frame.
It is difficult to comment whether you will become pregnant or not based on the information provided. One of the simplest way to confirm is by using urine pregnancy test kit.
It is better to use it after a week of missed period and with morning sample of urine, add it will have higher sensitivity.
So to answer your query, take the plan B within 72 hours of you don't want to continue or wait for period and if does not appear go for pregnancy test and then you can decide.

Hope you have got some useful information from this.