How long does Montelukast take to control chronic cough?

I just started taking montelukast 10 mg. last night for a hard cough I developed due to Spring allergy season. How long will it take to “kick into” my system....it’s been about 18 hrs. and I’m still coughing very hard. Is there anything else I can take in the meantime?
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

For allergic inflammation of upper respiratory tract rather than starting Montelukast alone, combination of Montelukast Plus Levocetrizine can be started.

It has to be taken for atleast 7-10 days.

Mention your AEC level as well to give further comment

Steam inhalation done three times a day with warm water

Take one tsp turmeric powder with hot milk early in morning

One tsp ginger and honey beneficial in allergic inflammation

If cough is dry and much troublesome than dextromethorphan or antihistaminic containing syrup can be prescribed

Hope this will help you