How can sharp pain in the muscles and bone be treated?

I have RSD/CRPS. I suffer from many different types of pain (sharp, stabbing, BURNING, bone pain, muscle pain, skin sensitivity). I have been dealing with this for about 20 years. I currently take Neurontin, Zanaflex, Cymbalta, and Temazapam to help me sleep. I use a 25 mcg Fentanyl patch and take three 7.5 mg Norco per day. I would like to know if anyone could offer any suggestions for other treatment. I am under the care of a Neurologist and a Pain Management Speacialist. Both Drs. are great but I just wonder. I am an otherwise healthy 65 year old male. Healthy but for high blood pressure which is under control except for bouts of really severe pain and it tends to go up. Everything seems to get much worse with AGE. THANKS, STEVE
Thu, 28 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

My thoughts and suggestions are as below. RSD/CRPD is known to have psychological factors as one of the causes an an anxiety and stress and be the causative or enhancing factors. Sine you are 65 years old and taking so many medications like Neurontin, Zanaflex, Cymbalta, and Temazapam for the pains you described we have to search for other possible causes and corrections. I would advise you the following in such a situation: Consult your Doctor to discuss further issues like Vitamin D deficiency, thyroid problems and latent diabetes. Local steroid injections into the tender or trigger spots helps a lot in some cases. Short courses of oral steroids can also help. Mediation and Naturotherapy helps in lot many cases if done properly. Being engaged into some productive activities helps ease the pain, stress and anxiety. All these have positive impact on your disorder.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.