Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can pleurisy be treated?

I went to a pulmonologist after 2 ER visits for fluid on my lung. H e said it was a bad case of pleurisy but did not offer any advice or even if I was to continue Lasix & potassium ER Dr. had prescribed. I was very disappointed in the visit. What is your advice?
Sat, 24 Aug 2019
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response
As per your history, you chest hurts on taking deep breaths, which may point towards pleuritis (the pleuritic chest pain occurs due to friction between the parietal and visceral pleura on deep breathing). You also have a history of probable chest infection with weight loss, and lymph node swelling for which you were managed. Costochondritis, will be unlikely to remain for 4 months, and you are already taking paracetamol. As per your query, this might well be a pleuritic chest pain, probably as a consequence of lower respiratory tract infection (the CXR and some basic blood investigations are required). (It would also be good, if you would mention your smoking history, any h/o trauma or exposure to Tuberculosis)
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

What if you cannot take NSAIDS for pleurisy. Was diagnosed with it last Sat. at local ER. Dr. gave me pain Medstar with ibuprofen and narcotics and...