Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
169 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can persistent atrial fibrillation be treated?

My husband has a persistent a-fib. He seems to be getting weak and sluggish again. He had 2 cardio versions and an ablation in April this year. Did seem to recover and gain strength and stamina until yesterday. Now weak and slow walking. Dr. Wants to put on tikosyn, stronger than Sotalol. Sounds good to us, though we are wondering is there something else he can do to get this heart beat regulars again. He is 84 years old and healthy otherwise. Thank you.
Sat, 21 Jul 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi...Thanks for considering Ask a doctor service
I understand your doubt...
Switching over from sotalol to Tikosyn(Dofetilide) is Brilliant idea and will show up good improvement...
Along with it I suggest you some dietary changes do follow it...
1.Reduce Salt intake
2.Increase Magnesium a lot like seeds, nuts, whole grains, etc
3.Eat more potassium, fibers...
Hope your doubts are cleared
Take care
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I am 25 years old and I have atrial fibrillation. My doctor told me that as of now its very mild and I do not need to take any medication unless i...