Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

How can my pain be cured as I have a rod in my femur ?

broken femur 2 inches from hip over 15 years ago. having problems. hello...i m 54 years old. i see a pain specialist monthly that gives me myoneural injections. epidural three times a year and medication. I have had a rod in my femur 2 inches from my hip over 15 years. now i m having a hard time driving, walking and sitting without sever pain. please can you tell me what i need to do or maybe what could be going on with my leg.
Asked On : Tue, 17 May 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  247
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Michael;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Since you have rod in your leg because of fracture of femur the pain is probably related to the implant in your body.Since 15 yrs have passed it will be better to consult the operating surgeon or a Orthopaedician for opinion regarding the steel rod .The pain you are having may be due to inflammation in your joint caused due to the rod.The painkillers you are taking that is myoneural injections as well as epidural are relieving the pain but i guess the inflammation remains so it is better to consult a Ortho for opinion and he will advise you regarding further management.
Answered: Tue, 17 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Atul Wankhede's  Response
Dear 54yr old, thanks for your question. Your hip seems to have been fractured just below the neck of Femur 15 yrs back and I assume the rod must have been a Proximal femoral Nail or PFN. Kindly mail a scanned X-ray if you can, coz as I see it, we first need to establish the cause of pain, having done that you also need to specify if the pain has been consistently felt throughout and of same intensity. I'd also like to know the nature of pain, the exact site (if its not vague), the range of motion of your leg, if associated with shortening and lastly do you have any co-morbidities like diabetes/hypertension. Its inappropriate to comment on the diagnosis of your condition and its fate on the very few symptoms you have mentioned but this might turn out to be a case of Avascular Necrosis of head of Femur(since the fracture was close to the neck of Femur causing blockage to its blood supply). Hope to hear from you soon with my requirements. And one more thing..avoid pain management until you establish the cause of pain.taking injections, steroids, analgesics is not recommended over a period of time. Good day.
Answered: Tue, 17 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response

I need to see your Xrays,you might have arthritis and may need hip replacment
Answered: Thu, 30 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor