Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
176 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can liver cirrhosis and an enlarged spleen be treated?

Im a recovering alcoholic, have an enlarged spleen, liver damage. I am 70 year old female. A liver doctor was pressing on my spleen, of course noticing its size. Also She felt a tubular part to the left of my spleen. Do you have any idea what that might be? I know its a rediculus question but I am worried I go back for a upper test down my throat.
Mon, 2 Apr 2018
Report Abuse
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Yes, in cirrhosis of the liver may lead to portal pressure elevation lead to splenomegaly. If this elevation of portal pressure also may cause ascites and esophageal and rectal varices. So permanent treatment is to create a shunt then the pressure will decrease and chances of recovery. Final stage leads to liver transplantation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Penchila Prasad Kandikattu
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

hi my name is tammy. I have multiple gallstones, hep c chorrosis of liver, enlarged spleen, enlarged veins. no one here where i live wants to touch...