How can dry mouth be treated?

My wife is complaining of a very dry mouth and a loss of taste when eating. She's 54 years old and hasn't had any other health issues. Her last complete physical exam was last year with no issues. Any suggestions for treating this or what the cause may be? Thank you.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your complain it looks like she is suffering from a condition known as Xerostomia or Dry mouth.
It can be due to a number of causes like:
-Severe dehydration,
-Side effects of medications if you take any.
-Salivary gland dysfunction.
-Nerve damage supplying salivary glands.
-Oral infections like thrush..
-Sjogren's Syndrome..etc..

Loss of taste is due to reduced saliva flow only as the saliva maintains taste buds and in the absence of appropriate quantities of saliva there is alteration in the function of taste buds leading to altered or lost taste.

-For dry mouth she can chew sugar-free chewing gums..
-Drink plenty of water.
-Avoid regular mouthwash and use specialized mouthwash that are formulated for dry mouth patients like Biotene..
-You can also instil artificial saliva drops..
-Suck tart candies as it also stimulates saliva flow..

If does not improve consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated..

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Honey Arora