Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

185 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can dry mouth be treated?

My wife is complaining of a very dry mouth and a loss of taste when eating. She's 54 years old and hasn't had any other health issues. Her last complete physical exam was last year with no issues. Any suggestions for treating this or what the cause may be? Thank you.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Report Abuse
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your complain it looks like she is suffering from a condition known as Xerostomia or Dry mouth.
It can be due to a number of causes like:
-Severe dehydration,
-Side effects of medications if you take any.
-Salivary gland dysfunction.
-Nerve damage supplying salivary glands.
-Oral infections like thrush..
-Sjogren's Syndrome..etc..

Loss of taste is due to reduced saliva flow only as the saliva maintains taste buds and in the absence of appropriate quantities of saliva there is alteration in the function of taste buds leading to altered or lost taste.

-For dry mouth she can chew sugar-free chewing gums..
-Drink plenty of water.
-Avoid regular mouthwash and use specialized mouthwash that are formulated for dry mouth patients like Biotene..
-You can also instil artificial saliva drops..
-Suck tart candies as it also stimulates saliva flow..

If does not improve consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated..

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Honey Arora
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I am 68 years old retired person and had by-pass heart surgery two years back. I am on dose of daily pills after my surgery and had been advised to minimize the water intake by 1.5 litres a day and drink only when thirsty. Since last 2 weeks I have following problems: 1) My mouth is getting dry. It is summer here so I am drinking small sips of water to quench my thirst but felling dry mouth very often. It leads me to drink more water and urinate without any relief from dry mouth. 2) I am feeling tired most of the time mostly after using stairs or short walk unlike earlier, so lie on bed to rest most part of the day. 3) Due to tiredness or I am sure the reason but I am feeling sleepy most of the time when lie on bed. 4) I am also feeling weakness now a days for no specific reason. Please note, I do not have problem of blood pressure and it is normal. I do not have diabetes with normal diet. Please advise if you diagnose anything unusual. I am remote part of small city and may need to travel distant place to see specialist in this summer, so your assistance would be very helpful for me. Y.P. Singh

doctor1 MD

Hi, Im always very thirsty at night, i have a dry mouth, my hands and feet get really dry and they peal constantly all of this starts at night, I have daindruff too, no headaches or other pains. Ive been diagnosed of chromic gastritis but have a normal diet, no coffee or candys, mainly rich in salty meals, fat and carbohidrates.

doctor1 MD

i had dry eye for a while and was prescribed restysis which works fine. Also dry mouth so i use specific tooth paste and mouth wash (Biotene) . last week i had a burning sensation on my toungue , i thought it was becuase i ate alot of pican cinnamons. but the burning went away but my mouth feels dryer than before and my lips feel dry also i had a real bad cold early march that stayed for almost 3 weeks i am almost 50 years old/ normal BP / no diabitic but last week I went through a very stressfull week (is that the cuase of more dryness i am experiancing?) should I see the dentist for this or should I give it time