Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
180 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can chest congestion and shortness of breath be treated?

Last year I moved to San Antonio Tx area from Wichita Falls Tx. I got really bad chest congestion and shortness of breath starting in Oct/Nov and it continued until about June. It all started again this November. Chest tightness, shortness of breath. What is the best allergy med for me?
Wed, 21 Feb 2018
Report Abuse
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for contacting with your health concern

1. With the history of symptoms of cough/congestion and shortness of breath either there is the possibility of seasonal allergy or chronic bronchitis, as such you should see a Chest Specialist for relevant physical examination and investigation like
. Hb%, WBC for eosinophilia
. X-ray chest for TB, Pneumonia
. If other investigations are normal, HIV test [as routine]

PS. As chest congestion is there, thus this is an indication for immediate chest X-ray.

ii. The choice of antibiotic will vary from doctor to doctor, and from locality to locality, till then

- maintain good oral hygiene, rinse your mouth after every meal, avoid smoking, tobacco chewing.
- Take mainly soft diet - rice, chapati, or phulka, with nonspicy vegetables.
- Avoid fried foods like wada, samosa, dosa, pakodas, papad,namkeen and potato chips, avoid hotel food.
. Do not take any cold drinks, cold water, ice cream, chilled food from the refrigerator.
. Avoid sour fruits like citrus fruits, grapes, take sweet fruits- bananas, papaya
. Steam Inhalation and warm salt water gargles.
. Cover the mouth while coughing (using hand or handkerchief) to prevent the spread of infection to other family members.

iii. As symptoms flared up suddenly, it could be an acute viral illness [flu] so get a flu shot [high dose vaccine] as recommended by CDC and get a second opinion regarding medical evaluation and treatment.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have been coughing up a lot of mucas and am very short of breath. I have taken one full dose of a azithromycin 6 tables as directed. I have a...