Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
139 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can an enlarged prostate be treated?

My doctor prescribed ciprofloxacin hcl 500 mg for 30 days. I have a very enlarged prostate, I was almost to the point of being unable to pee. I am now on flowmax and it is helping. I have a psa of 18+. and its been high for years but I did not attend to it. Serious phobias of Doctors... sorry. I seem to have the beginning of cancer. He did a 12 site biopsy and 5% of tissue showed any sign of cancer. At the bottom of the report it said, there is no clear evidence of invasive cancer. my doc said that an antibiotic could sometimes help cancer at this early point. but I am reading about all the side effects, which I have not had too many of, other than being depressed. I am done with all 30 days now. What can I do to help myself get over the dangerous tendon possibilities, or to generally flush my system of the residual medicine? Any thoughts? Also, does Cipro have a tendency to raise or lower my psa? I am not confident in my doctor. What should I be looking for in a urologist? Or is it time for an oncologist?
Wed, 25 Apr 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

An enlarged prostate increases the levels of PSA, but doesn't show anything if it is benign or malignant (cancerous). That shows the biopsy.

Ciprofloxacine is used for urinary tract infection that may be present, but not for so long and not for lowering PSA level.

There are other medicines for an enlarged prostat, so I suggest you to go to an urologist who will guide you to the right way.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Anila Skenderi
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have recently experienced very weak flow and meagre volume of urine. I take atenolol 50 mg once a day and hctz12.5mg once a day.I understand that...