Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Having vision problem during night. What kind of treatment is suggested ?

My Daughter 22 years old. Basically problem is Retina . Some patches in Retina. But during a night she is not see without light. what some treatment.
Asked On : Fri, 19 Aug 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  117
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
She could be having Vitamin A deficiency or Retinitis pigmentosa. She needs to be consulted with Ophthalmologist for this. She will need Vitamin A, antioxidant therapy, surgical therapy as indicated by her Doctor.
Answered: Fri, 19 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware's  Response
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Nyctalopia or night blindness is commonly caused due to retinitis pigmentosa, a disorder in which the rod cells in the retina gradually lose their ability to respond to the light. Patients suffering from this genetic condition have progressive nyctalopia and eventually their daytime vision may also be affected.The other cause of night blindness is a deficiency of retinol, or vitamin A, found in fish oils, liver and dairy products.The common causes are:-
-Vitamin A deficiency
-retinitis pigmentosa
-congenital night blindness
-fundus dystrophy
-pathological myopia
-peripheral cortical cataract
Since your daughter is 22 yrs and it seems that she has retinal problem so it may be retinitis pigmentosa so is better to consult a good Opthalmologist for examination and treatment.
Answered: Fri, 19 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
YOUR daughter is having night blindness or nyctalopia.numerous causes ARE responsible for this nyctalopia

common causes are

Vitamin A deficiency

retinal dystrophy and hereditary macular dystrophy.There is list of such retinal problem and they can be diagnosed by various physiological test

most common is retinitis pigmentosa.So first step is consult any pediatric ophthalmologist and retina person.there are array of test like ERG,EOG TO CONFIRM DIAGNOSIS OF RETINAL PROBLEM.LATERon life she may need aid of low vision.

but first thing is to consult ophthalmologist.

If other sibling is there check his /her eyes also

Answered: Sun, 28 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor